With the 40th anniversary of Earth Day almost around the corner, there are lots of ways to begin getting on board and green-up your life a little bit more.
Earch 911 – an excellent news and information resource - has just launched their “40 tips 40th Earth Day” channel. The site has a variety of useful tips that cover the 3 R’s – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – but also includes a Twitter contest that begins on March 29 and ends with a giveaway on Earth Day, April 22.
“We hope people participate in our contest not only to learn more about how to improve their waste output and environmental footprint, but also to encourage their friends, family, and followers to do the same,” says Colt Melby, CEO of Earth911. “This Earth Day should be a celebration not of what we will accomplish on April 22, but what we will do the other 364 days of the year,” he said.
By simply tweeting the channel’s Web address each day a new set of tips is released, members of the Twitter audience will be entered into a drawing for eco-friendly prizes from organizations and authors. These include:
- One home composting starter kit, courtesy of SunChips
- Two copies of Disneynature’s EARTH, courtesy of Disneynature OCEANS
- One historic tree sponsorship, courtesy of American Forests
- One copy of “Ten Ways to Change the World in Your 20s,” courtesy of author Libuse Binder
- One Interactive Boxed Set of stationery, courtesy of Ecosaurus
- One, certified CarbonFree® Certified GoECOlife™ SOHO 8-Sheet ULTRA-QUIET™ Paper Shredder, courtesy of Carbonfund.org
- Three pairs of Performance Toesocks™ in CoolMax® EcoMade™, courtesy of Injinji
- One copy of “Celebrate Green!” courtesy of Celebrate Green!
- One iPad sleeve, courtesy of First World Trash
- One copy of “Suddenly Frugal: How to live Happier and Healthier for Less,” courtesy of author Leah Ingram
- Two copies of “The Everything Green Wedding Book: Plan an Elegant, Affordable, Earth-Friendly Wedding,” courtesy of author Wenona Napolitano
- Eco-friendly T-shirts, courtesy of Earth911.com
Sun Chips – who recently launched the world’s first 100 percent compostable chip bag that decomposes in 14 weeks when placed in a hot active home or commercial compost bin (which from a report I read actually does what it says it will) – will offer tips about their new compostable product line.
This contest sounds like a winner all around – useful tips to boost the green in your life and cool prizes too. Winners will be selected on Earth Day, April 22nd. To participate, visit the channel for official rules, a list of prizes and daily tips to tweet and also follow Earth911 on Twitter.